Friday, 12 August 2011

When do I stop drinking?

I have spent many a fatal morning hovering over the loo, wishing that I hadn’t had that last Sambuca shot, like most things in my life, it seemed like such a good idea at the time. But come morning I’m forever regretting the state I got myself into.

No judgements are ever made by Mr Loo Seat, unlike my real friends who roll their eyes as I drag my sorry self into the room, and pat me on the back in a patronising fashion as I cry and moan to them:‘I’m never drinking again’ as if it wasn’t my fault, someone held me down and poured the contents of a small bar down my throat.

If Mr Loo Seat, Loo for short, could speak he would say:

Ah, Rowen, welcome back. Drink too much last night? That’s OK, come slump your head down on my shoulders until you are feeling better, what are friends for?”

He has been there for me, through birthdays, Christmasses, New Years and well, any random Friday/Saturday night really. So close is our friendship that sometimes the couch gets jealous.

So when is a good time for me to stop drinking?

Marathon runners' opinions will differ when it comes to drinking and training. Some can balance both, rearranging their Saturday morning long runs for later in the day etc.  However it can take as much as 3 days to completely rid yourself of a hangover and you can unknowingly damage yourself during training, and heighten your potential for injuries, as well as feeling completely rotten. But, if you’re used to running the next morning, then here are a few tips that can see you through your training and rid your hangover hell.
  1. Top up on potassium.
    Alcohol, as a diuretic, reduces your sodium and potassium (electrolyte) levels so eat a banana and drink some orange juice in the morning. Drink sports drinks like Lucozade to top up your electrolytes.
  2. Drink water.
    Another pleasant product of diuretics is dehydration. Drink more water than you think you need, take drinks with you on your runs and drink a pint of water before you go to bed the night before!
  3. Don’t drink as much.
    It sounds simple but the less you drink, the less time it takes for your body to recover from the effects of drinking. Going for a run on a hangover over will increase blood flow and flush out those toxins even faster. ‘
(extract in pink taken from SirJogAlot)


I like nothing more than a cold glass of white after a long day, and as much as I would love to fill up one of my fuel belt bottles with wine, (it would make the long runs go by so much faster) it's time to say bye bye I think. No time is better than the present, the present being training for a small 26 mile jog.  BRING IT OON!!!!


Adios, you beautiful, beautiful thing,

No comments:

Post a Comment